Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) peel essential oil
Mandarin (Citrus Reticulata) Peel Essential Oil
Mandarin essential oil is a popular aromatherapy oil for digestive, neurological, and circulatory issues. It’s commonly found in natural skincare and baby care products for its skin soothing and toning properties. Let’s have a look at how to work on the skin.
What is Mandarin peel essential oil?
The fruit of the Mandarin tree was customarily given as a gift to the Mandarin. The pericarp of the fruit wall is used to extract the essential oil of mandarin.
Green, yellow, and red essential oils are all obtained from the same fruit but at different stages of maturity. Unripe green fruits give a light yellow essential oil that is used in perfumery and is produced in Italy and South America.
|What is it?||The peels of Citrus reticulata are cold compressed to produce Mandarin essential oil.|
|INCI||Citrus reticulata oil|
|Appearance||Colourless to pale yellow liquid|
|Texture||Thin, watery viscosity|
|Solubility||Insoluble in water|
|Boiling point||178 °C(lit.)|
|Aroma||flowery aroma that is fruity, sweet.|
|Why do we include it in formulations?||The oil promotes the formation of new tissues and aids skin regeneration. Other advantages of mandarin oil include the preservation of the skin's moisture balance and the decrease of stretch marks and scars.|
|How to work with it?||Include during the formulation's cool down phase, and prevent heating if as all possible.|
|Applications||Mandarin peel essential oil can help you achieve clarity, freshness, and a young glow by using it into your skincare routine.|
|Strength||It has a powerful detoxifying effect.|
|Weaknesses||Always dilute oils with a carrier oil before applying to the skin to avoid irritation and burning.|
|Substitution||Lemongrass or Bergamot.|
|How to store it?||Stored in a cool, dark and dry place.|
|Shelf life||The essential oil of mandarin peel has a one-to-two-year shelf life.|
|Type of ingredient||Essential oil|
|Main benefits||Stimulant, Tonic, Anti-Oxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, Cleansing.|
|Who should use it||All skin types are appropriate.|
|How often can you use it?||At night|
|Works well with||Lavender|
|Doesn't work with||Mandarin essential oil-based products have a low risk of phototoxicity when used within cutaneous limits. When going outside in the sun, though, exercise caution.|
|How to use||When the formulation is cooling down, this ingredient is added.|
Mechanisms of action
Vitamin C is abundant in mandarin. This potent antioxidant aids in collagen formation, wound healing, and the fight against free radicals (including environmental toxins).
A strong intake of Vitamin C also contributes to brighter skin, the appearance of scars, age spots, the softening of stretch marks, and the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Because vitamin C is highly acidic, it aids in the healing of the skin.
It works instantaneously to cure a wound by stimulating the formation of collagen and elastin when applied topically. Collagen and elastin are protein fibres that help your skin regenerate cells and keep it firm and tight.
Benefits of Mandarin peel essential oil
- Mandarin Essential Oil is high in antioxidants, which have been demonstrated to help neutralise free radicals, which can harm skin cells and are often the primary cause of premature ageing.
- Mandarin Essential Oil’s capacity to refresh your complexion can be used to help balance out skin tone. Its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory characteristics can help protect your skin against pigmentation and other imperfections.
- Boosting circulation and blood flow with Mandarin Oil can make your skin look plumper, brighter, and more radiant.
- Orange essential oil can aid in the reduction of acne-causing germs due to its antibacterial properties. Acne-related inflammation can also be reduced with this treatment.
- It improves blood circulation and relieves joint discomfort when used as a massage oil.
- Protects skin from pollution, smoke, and UV rays: The high concentration of limonene in your skin helps to protect it from pollution, smoke, and UV rays.
- The oil has an astringent effect on the skin, which helps to constrict pores and regulate sebum levels.
Side effects of Mandarin peel essential oil
Sun exposure should be avoided once mandarin essential oil has been applied topically since it has phototoxic properties. This means it amplifies the effects of UV exposure, potentially resulting in skin irritation such as blisters, burns, scabs, redness, and changes in skin colour.
To avoid photosensitivity, persons who apply Orange Oil topically should wait 72 hours before going outside for long periods of time, especially in hot climes.
How to use it in formulation?
Mandarin essential oil can be applied to the skin in a variety of ways. Here are some ideas for how to use this uplifting essential oil in your beauty routine.
Use it as a body massage oil after diluting it with cold-pressed almond oil. To counteract free radical damage, dilute it with cold-pressed jojoba oil and apply it at the conclusion of your skincare routine.
Works Well With Other Ingredients
Most citrus essential oils, such as Grapefruit, Orange, and Lemon, combine well with mandarin.